Thursday, January 18, 2007

Snow Canyon State Park, Utah - Camping

Santa brought me a four-season tent and a zero-degree rated sleeping bag for Christmas and I wasted no time testing them out. Despite the record cold that swept through Utah (and most of the country) this past week, Rob and I headed to Southwestern Utah over the long weekend to do some camping and hiking. We collected Tim in Cedar City and headed to the warmest place in the state - St. George. It was a balmy 25 degrees in the daytime .. but it dropped down to the low teens at night. Between the campfire and my sleeping bag, I managed to stay pretty warm at night. We camped in Snow Canyon which is increadibly beautiful with lava flows, red rock, and petrified sand dunes (and no snow!) We also explored Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park - some of my favorite places that I usually avoid because of the herds of people that crowd those places in the summer. It was perfect this time of year - very few people and so peaceful.

Snow Canyon near St. George

petrified sand dunes in Snow Canyon

sunset in Snow Canyon

home sweet home

Bryce Canyon

Bryce Canyon

me in Bryce Canyon

Rob and Tim in Zion National Park

Zion National Park

Rob in Zion National Park eating ice