Monday, October 25, 2010

Canyonlands National Park - Needles District, Utah - Camping and Hiking

Before this world existed, the holy people made themselves visible by becoming clouds, sun, moon, trees, bodies of water, thunder rain, snow, and other aspects of this world we live in. That way, they said, we would never be alone. So it is possible to talk to them and pray, no matter where we are and how we feel. Biyázhí daniidlí, we are their little ones...

---
Luci Tapahonso
Sháá Áko Dahjiníleh
Remember the Things They Told Us

Canyonlands - Needles District

A trip to the Needles of Canyonlands National Park with a new friend proved to be as much of as adventure as it was a learning experience for me. I enjoyed our frank discussions about religion (his strong belief in and my lack of) as much as I enjoyed the scenery of one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Until this trip, I hadn't spent time in a place that is so important to me with someone who needs the desert in the same way that I do. It's not just a playground for me to explore. Some people go to church. I go to the canyons. A rare few do both.


Squaw Canyon

Big Spring Canyon

Pothole Point

The Needles

On Sunday, we went to the Church of the Great Outdoors together on our way through Indian Creek - a reminder that spirituality and religion can be related, but aren't exclusive to each other. I like to think that they are different ways of looking at the same thing. Beautiful scenery and beautiful company made this one of the best trips ever.


Indian Creek

Beautiful

Ditto